Thinking is a never-ending process of our life. We always have some thought going in our mind. However, at times, we always wish that we can just think a little better. Whether be it an important assignment, an exam or just about anything a little boost in our mental performance is something that everybody yearns for.
Can we really impact our brainpower? The answer is yes – but it is not a simple task. Incorporate certain good habits to your lifestyle and you are sure to boost your mental performance. It is as easy as it sounds to be, but one needs to stick to a healthy regime for this.
Improve Your Mental Performance
- Physical Activity and Fitness – Physical activity is not just good for the body; it is equally good for your brain as well. Body and mind work together and when your body is fit so is your brain. Studies have proven that certain hormones that surge, when you are exercising, may actually help improve cognitive function. They have shown a positive correlation towards blood hormone levels from aerobics and memory function. Indulge in yoga or simple exercises to fire your brain power. Following a good fitness regime creates a healthy lifestyle and in turn impacts your brain as well by increasing its performance.
- Novelty – Always challenge yourself by learning something new and being open to experiences. A healthy mind also needs constant flexibility by learning new skills or trying out challenges. It is said that trying new activities stimulates dopamine which in turn increases the production of neurons. Feel your brain grown by reading a new book or learning a new language.
- Indulge in Good Hobbies – Music, art & craft, Dance, etc. all contribute to increased brain performance. By indulging in them, you are letting your mind exposed to creativity. Studies have shown that increased creativity leads to high chances of business startups in the future. Also, the relation between music and improved function of the brain is known by all. Playing a musical instrument does wonders to your brain. Moreover, writing and reading books enhances your knowledge and improves memory even as you age.
- Be Social – Having a great set of friends to always rely on will always have your covered in times of happiness and sad days as well. It also boosts your energy level and in turn activates your mind. Being lonely and isolated is not something that we all desire and it can downgrade your brain in adverse ways. So, stay connected with friends and family to trigger your mind.
- Meditation – Meditation exercises can do wonders to increase the brain focus. It also gets rid of stress in your life. It is shown to improve cognitive abilities and reduce deteriorating brain power due to ageing. Dedicating few minutes for meditation every day will enhance the productivity of the brain and bust your stress.
- Brain Games – The so-called brain games like Sudoku, puzzles increase the brain stimulants and put them to work. Like working out our body, it works out the brain and enhances the function of the brain. Working on something challenging will open up a new horizon and increase mental capacity. There are multiple studies showing its effectiveness and it is even proven to delay the onset of mental disorders like Alzheimer’s disease and keeps the cognitive power going even for old
- Healthy Sleep Pattern – Getting an essential sleep time during the night will help the brain to amalgamate knowledge and memory and also give the much-required rest time to the brain. Most people need solid seven hours of sleep at night to keep the fresh and renewed the next day. It aids important cognitive skills of learning, memory and concentration. People can also catch up on lost sleep time by taking a short power nap to boost the memory.
- Bust your Stress – Do you feel very stressed out after a long working day full of busy meetings and projects? Indulge in a stress breaking activity like jogging, walking, doing yoga, doodling or whatever it is that you enjoy doing to keep you lively. Break the monotony and calm yourself down by taking away all the stress in your life. It restores the brain structure and connectivity with improved mental performance.
- Let the Mind Wander At Times – Give the brain some time-out by indulging in less intensive activities like a mindless stroll, talking to friends, doing laundry, etc. Let it wander for some time without any holding back. This will restore back its freshness and aid in an energized state of mind.
- Laughter – Laugh it away to keep your heart healthy and in turn make your brain also health. Having a hearty laugh helps to solve tough problems and think more innovatively. Don’t take unnecessary tension or panic and hold back your brain power. Take the easy way, by laughing it out and relive your stress level. The much-proven laughter therapy bears testimony to this.
- Eating Right – Eating a well-balanced diet rich in essential nutrients keeps you healthy. Incorporate healthy fats as well to your diet and do not completely avoid them since research has proven that fatty food enhances long-term memory. A little bit of glucose and dark chocolate are also said to boost your cognitive skills. So, have a bit of everything in your diet to help increase your productivity and eat at the right intervals.
- Positive Thinking – Last but not the least stay positive and dwell on optimism. The mind will also follow you with positivity. Studies suggest that we can gain more knowledge by being aware that intelligence is not stagnant. Be confident and not too over confident to help you solve problems with ease. Trust your brain.
The secret to improving your mental performance lies in your lifestyle and incorporating all the above habits will activate all the aspects of the brain function. Protest yourself from mental deterioration with ageing and follow the above guidelines to stay brain-fit.