Also called as Pyridoxine, this essential vitamin is said to have elicited the growth of the first living being on Earth long back. It provides multitude benefits to carry out important functions of our body and plays a major role in fostering a healthy brain.
They aid in the effective transmission of signals throughout our brain and also in the development of myelin sheath that forms a fatty protective coverage of our nerves. It is the main source of energy that helps to convert the food into fuel or glucose and aids in the metabolism process.
Sources of Vitamin B6
With so many important functions that this type of vitamin has to carry out, it is very surprising to note that it is water soluble and easily dries out. So we need to constantly replenish our body with this vitamin for a healthy mind and heathy body.
Some of the best sources of Vitamin B6 are:
- Milk, Egg, Cheese
- Leafy Green Vegetables
- Cereal grains and legumes
Since it is soluble in water and quickly exhausts from our body, it is very critical to incorporate this essential nutrient in every meal that we consume throughout the day
Functions of Vitamin B6
It is involved in many important functions of the body and studies have even proved that Vitamin B6 may have given rise to the first breath and the very first oxygen producing organism.
- Metabolism – It is responsible in producing energy from the food we consume and break down the nutrients for effective absorption. It helps to metabolize fat, glucose and proteins in our food.
- Brain Function – They aid in the functioning of the neurotransmitters of the brain that send across signals to and from the brain to carry out a particular function. This in turn results to a healthy brain with better prospects of cognitive function and thought processing.
- Hormone Regulation – It regulates the production of certain hormones which influences our moods or emotions. It also generates Melatonin that controls the body’s clock and sleep cycles.
- Hemoglobin Synthesis – It serves the function of hemoglobin to bind on both sides to promote oxygen production of it.
- Generate Antibodies – It also aids to produce antibodies that are required in the body to fight against foreign bodies or diseases
Benefits of Vitamin B6
- Maintains a Healthy Brain – It improves the synthesis of neurotransmitters that play a major role in the cognitive function of the brain. It also influences our mood and energy levels to lead to better productivity levels.
- Maintains a Healthy Body – Some of the important metabolism process of breaking down proteins, essential fats and glucose is carried out by this vitamin. It is a major source of energy for our body to convert all the food and fuels us up.
- Brian Development During Pregnancy & Infancy – It is administered in multivitamin pills to support brain development of a fetus and better immune system for infants. Vitamin B6 is also used to treat postpartum depression conditions in women and helps to restore a resilient mood.
- Memory and Attention Benefits – Studies have proven the strong relation between Vitamin B6 and memory power. People with lower levels of this vitamin are more prone to memory disorders like Alzheimer’s. Also, it enhances your attention span by producing oxygen-holding hemoglobin which enables to increase energy and make you more productive with great concentration power.
Vitamin B6 and Its Significance
As seen the importance of Vitamin B6 is very apparent, and hence is included in Alpha Levo IQ. It is said to the be the most important brain vitamin. Taking more of this vitamin will lead to better communication of signals in the brain and even prevent neuron damage due to the aging process.
It stimulates important neurotransmitters of the brain which enables the brain to function the processes of memory, cognition, moods and attention effectively. Another important aspect of Vitamin B6 is to control the homocysteine levels in the blood, which lowers the risk of heart disease and stroke.
All in all, the benefits of Vitamin B6 are very extensive and cover almost all the primary brain and body functions. The deficiency of this vitamin in our body will lead to many problems including depression, mental deterioration, memory loss, insomnia, heart disease, etc.
Vitamin B6 is deeply involved with brain function and regulates important aspects of our body. This water soluble nutrient calls for more attention and requires constant consumption to ensure a healthy brain and healthy body. So include more of this vitamin to your diet to stay brain fit and active.